Thursday, June 16, 2011

Golden apples (not of the Sun)

So what I plan to do during this Write-a-Thon is rewrite an old story of mine in English. It is based on Hungarian folk tales so it needs a bit of rewriting, I suppose, to make sense to non-Hungarian readers.

It is a story about apples, dragons and princesses. And one man's quest to find a wife and a kingdom, as is often the case in fairy tales. It is a relaxed story, I think, one to entertain and maybe make the reader smile.

I know most people prefer short stories that cut to the bone and make the heart bleed, but I just don't have what it takes to write such stories. I am a coward, I guess. Also, deep down inside I am a relaxed person who enjoys simple things and who thinks that in the long run, enjoying simple things is just as good and useful as cutting one's own heart open to see how much it bleeds. It bleeds a lot. Hearts just do that. And there's a lesson in that, but there are other lessons in life, too. And one of these lessons is simply enjoying it.

So this story is not going to be one that makes you cry, except if it turns out that badly. Which I hope it won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment